It is a project I've been thinking about for sometime. I even got the freezer several weeks ago and the project has been waiting for me. I made a solar food dehydrator because we have apples that need to be taken care of.
While you can just put foods out into the sun to dehydrate, they lose nutrients to solar radiation. You also run the risk of attracting insects to your food and that's not good.
Here is what I did. I started by putting the old gutted freezer up on a frame that would hold both the freezer and a reclaimed window that we had found. Mine looked like this.
Here is the reclaimed window.
After the freezer was screwed down to the frame, I drilled a bunch of holes in the back of the freezer. I'm going to see if that provides sufficient air flow, but I might have to go back and cut the holes bigger and find a different way of sealing things.
I drilled holes in the window frame that corresponded with the holes in the freezer. Like I said before, I might need more holes or bigger holes. I'll try it and see first.
I then painted a thin piece of plywood black and nailed it to the window frame on the same side as the holes. I think that I may need to go back and add some rigid foam insulation to the window so that more heat travels into the freezer rather than out of the back of the window.
Originally, I was going to continue with small holes on the inside and run pipes through it, but I didn't really have the right tools, so I was unable to get things lined up. So I just cut big holes in it. Now I am thinking that I might go back and do something similar to the outside. I'll test it first though.
Here are a couple of the pipes that I used to allow the air from the window into the freezer.
Finally I put the window up against the freezer, put pipes through a bunch of the holes and sealed it with expanding foam. There were a few of the pipes that I couldn't get lined up, so I just stuck a piece of cardboard between the window and freezer to create a bigger cavity for air to flow through and then added the foam to that.
I still need to drill an exhaust hole in the top, but otherwise I'm just waiting for the sun to come out so I can test it out. I also added wheels to make it easier to move.