Last night was a long one with a child vomiting every little bit. A we decided to sleep in until 7:30 and someone had to be inside with the sick kid all day.
I woke up late and went out and moved the sheep. We have a nice rotation set up that I am really excited about. I have the field separated into 5 different paddocks… Actually they are virtual paddocks that I divide with temporary fencing, but still there are five of them. I have two more paddocks in the orchard and two more up by the house. I think I have it worked out so they won’t be on the same ground for several weeks. The extra temporary fencing that we bought was well worth it.
So while my wife was weeding the perennial bed, I worked on a warre beehive. The traditional beehives are the Langstrom hives and they provide the bees with a wax foundation on which to build their comb. This means that you get honey from these hives, but not much in the way of wax.
In the past, I have built a top bar beehive, but was unsuccessful at attracting a swarm… And I did some things wrong. I like this type of hive because the bees build their own wax comb and it is much more natural. I have been dreading building another top bar hive because they have lots of funny angles, and I don’t deal well with funny angles.
The Warre hive is the best of both worlds. It is an easy to build box, but it allows the bees to build their own wax comb so I can collect wax for soap making. The directions were pretty specific to 1/32 of an inch, but I made some minor modifications. In reading about this type of hive, they say you have to follow it exactly, but I’m willing to try and see. Anyway, here it is.
When my wife was done weeding the perennial bed, I was able to get back out and move some wood chips. We have a deal with an arborist so he drops off wood chips all of the time. We made a sort of sponge in a low spot up front. It didn’t work great, but the idea is like a rain garden in clay soil. Rather than a hole, we piled up wood chips that we will cover with dirt and compost to make a sort of dam that will also hold a lot of water. This will hopefully prevent our driveway from flooding, and provide us a good place to plant some bamboo and other plants.
So we have this deal with the arborist and he just keeps bringing wood chips, so we keep using them. We made paths around the berries, we mulched the kiwi, and now I am working on using the chips to make pathways to control mud. I have mulched the major paths of the garden and today I made more paths around the house. I am hoping that I can convince kids to use the paths so they don’t turn the sheep’s grass into a mud pit. We will see.
So that is what I did for my lazy day. Now I need to go finishing preparing for upcoming classes.